• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.
  • If you need direct help with your employment issue you can contact us at admin@legalbeaglesgroup.com for further assistance. This will give you access to “off-forum” support on a one-to- one basis from an experienced employment law expert for which we would welcome that you make a donation to help towards their time spent assisting on your matter. You can do this by clicking on the donate button in the box below.

tampered contract & loss of income as a result?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• tampered contract & loss of income as a result?

Hello everyone

This is my first post since I joined recently and thought someone here might be able to help and perhaps give basic advice if possible.

Ok so I saw a job advertised on Indeed.
    I rang the number to make an inquiry regarding availibility and application, was asked to fill out a work pack and was offered work almost immediately.
    The nature of the work is based inbetween both rail and construction (pts civils) and as is required I needed to apply for primary sponsorship at the same time.
    Part of the pack titled "terms of engagement" required I make a choice of either option A or option B.
    Option A was PAYE WORKER.
    Option B was THIRD PARTY INTERMEDIARIES.

I chose option A (PAYE) as I had unwittingly taken a position previously which policy dictated choosing an umbrella company, who consequetly left me working in a high risk enviroment as a qualified and multi skilled engineer for 7.50ph, having since vowed to myself never to get involved with any such company again in the future I made this known to the person dealing with my application.
    I sent the pack off as mutiple pages of photo attachments via email.
    Signed after giving my consideration and agreement to the terms and conditions of the contract, namely the duration, rate of pay and hours of work.
    I attended the site and was inducted and had all my competancies checked (pts/sentinal card) and worked 12hrs.
    On the second day I recieved a call from my new primary sponsor & contractor as a missed call which I rang back at first break.
    It was explained to me that payroll would not accept my option A as a PAYE WORKER, resulting in the consultant making the decision (without actually having consulted me) to go with option B (THIRD PARTY INTERMEDIARIES). I was told that I was affiliated and using service now from one of the named umbrella companies chosen for me as it was not possible for legal reasons to go as PAYE and that the paperwork was explained as being old and not updated. I immediately left as I felt angry that this decision had been made without my knowledge, consent, prior consideration or agreement and have now lost the income originally determined by PAYE and cannot even make a claim for income support due to leaving a job voluntarily.
    Have I got any legal rights to the loss of earnings and what could I have done to prevent this happening?
    Tags: None

Re: tampered contract & loss of income as a result?

anyone been in a similar situation at all?

Comment

Hi and welcome.
      Sorry I can't help you, but please have a little patience.
      This is weekend, and holiday time so there could be a couple of days delay before you receive a worthwhile response.

Comment

Do you know for sure that the rates of pay where different for signing up as PAYE or Third Party Intermediaries?
        If you would like a one-to-one expert consultation with me on your employment issue than I can be contacted by emailing admin@legalbeaglesgroup.com

I do my best to provide good practical advice, however I do so without liability.
        If you have any doubts then do please seek professional legal advice.

You can’t always stop the waves but you can learn to surf.

You are braver than you believe, smarter than you think and stronger than you seem.

If we have helped you we'd appreciate it if you can leave a review on our Trust Pilot page

Comment

Hi mate

I feel your pain, I have had something similar happen to me. The company offered me a job but when it came to the contract told me me they had to employee me under umbrella company, I failed to understand that this would mean no holiday pay, a fee for the umbrella company ever month, paying both employee and employers contributions.

I sat down worked out the difference between what I thought I was been paid and what I was getting and binned them off for an employed position, they tried to tell me that I was contracted for 6 months something that I had fail to understand as well, so I told them to stick there job post the van keys through the letter box. Never heard from them again landed a new job before the week was out.

Regards

Comment

Originally posted by Ula View Post
            Do you know for sure that the rates of pay where different for signing up as PAYE or Third Party Intermediaries?
            Hi Ula.

The rates for the umbrella were never discussed as I chose to go PAYE so I couldn't possibly of known or given it my consideration (contract law).
            I have no Idea what the umbrella were offering but since they charge you for a service it would be less than what the contactor was advertising without a third party intermediary, however, my contract had been changed without my consideration regarding the terms of engagement AFTER I agreed to PAYE ( by my signature).
            Umbrella companies have to lawfully pay you at least NMW but that is it! My previous experience using one before was enough to show me that what is initially advertised in hourly rate is NOT what is realised in your bank account, so while the use of a service should be expected to cost you something where does the law stand on having your choice made for you against your wishes after an agreement has been met?

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.

Announcement

Collapse

Welcome to LegalBeagles

Donate with PayPal button

LegalBeagles is a free forum, founded in May 2007, providing legal guidance and support to consumers and SME's across a range of legal areas.

See more
            See less

Court Claim ?

Guides and Letters

Search and Compare fixed fee legal services and find a solicitor near you.

Find a Law Firm

Working...
            X